Holiday Electrical Safety Tips
- Check lights before use and make sure there are no broken bulbs, loose connections, and frayed or cut wires.
- Do not connect more than three strings of incandescent lights together.
- Avoid overloading circuits, outlets and extension cords.
- Protect Cords from damage by using insulated clip hangers to hang lights not nails, staples or tacks. Make sure electrical cords are not underneath rugs, and furniture.
- Turn off all indoor and outdoor electrical decorations before leaving home or going to sleep.
- Do not use indoor lights outdoors because they are not waterproof. Do not use outdoor lights indoors because they burn hotter than indoor lights.
- Make sure to water your live tree daily to prevent tree from drying out and causing a fire.
- Unplug lights when changing bulbs.
- Outdoor lights and decorations should be plugged into circuits protected by Ground Fault Circuit Interrupters (GFCIs).
- Check that all decorations you purchase are certified by: Underwriters Laboratories, Intertek, and Canadian Standards Association.
Make sure you have a licensed electrician make any repairs needed to keep your home safe this Holiday Season!
Call us at 817-237-6299 to schedule an appointment with one of our technicians.